Saturday, May 12, 2007

BBH & Vaseline

Earlier this semester I worked on Heinz Ketchup. I struggled. It was hard to develop a new, exciting, compelling, and interesting direction for it. CPGs continue to stump me.

My team and I kept trying to create something that hit a nerve on a deeper level but often we got lost ourselves along the way. No matter what, it's still ketchup that we're talking about here.

In the end though, we did ok.

The point of this long intro is to set up an amazing TV Spot by BBH New York for Vaseline.

The strategy was so simple, clear and concise. The ad featured good and useful information.

But above all, it took information about the skin, which to some might seem mundane, and turned it into a most beautiful piece of storytelling.



I guess my takeaway is that perhaps I should have stuck with the original strategy. While seemingly dry in the beginning, it offered a clear and concise proposition that the creative team could have taken to a beautiful place had I not backed down.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

No comments: