Thursday, November 8, 2007

Humans are contradictory beings

Earlier in the summer I had the pleasure of meeting up with Gareth Kay in Boston. One of things he mentioned during our conversation that stuck with me was that "humans are contradictory beings." It brings a smile on my face whenever I think about it. Our job as planners is to constantly analyze the behaviors of human beings and to make predictions about what makes us tick... even though "humans are contradictory beings."

Today I was led to a website by a family friend. The interview with God is an interesting site whose goal is to "create beautiful, inspiring presentations that make a positive difference in the lives of millions of people around the world."

Log on to the site and view the presentation.

I have pulled the parts that really struck a nerve with me.



“What surprises you most about humankind?”

God answered...
“That they get bored with childhood,
they rush to grow up, and then
long to be children again.”

“That they lose their health to make money...
and then lose their money to restore their health.”

“That by thinking anxiously about the future,
they forget the present,
such that they live in neither
the present nor the future.”

"That they live as if they will never die,
and die as though they had never lived.”